Friday 9 September 2016

Snapchat, Fashion & Anti-Bullying: A Winning Campaign or Just Good PR?

It-Girl's Kendall Jenner and Willow Smith have recently teamed up with Garage Magazine in a collaboration with Snapchat as part of a campaign to drive anti-bullying.

The campaign consists of the two stars, donning many of the famous Snapchat filters, enhancing their model looks alongside phrases such as 'don't throw shade boo!', 'karma comin at ya!' and 'check it b4 you wreck it'.

Now when I initially came across this campaign I thought finally, the social media it-girl's of the moment are using their power for a good cause. But as I looked further into the campaign to try and find a message or a drive behind it, I was lost. The captions against the images seem a half-effort at instructing an audience to not be mean to others, almost sugar-coating how severe bullying can be to young people's lives. I don't know about you but I don't like it. The tone of the campaign seems insincere, with the looks of both of the girls enhanced in an attempt really to just create good PR for them. 

I'm not saying that mixing social media and social campaigning is wrong. In fact, I think, if done right it could be very effective. But do we have to use the same models and social media stars again and again to add credibility to a campaign? I hope not.

What do you guys think? 










none of these images are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment