Sunday 13 November 2016

M.I.A: Sustainable DIY Album Merch



So this September M.I.A released her much anticipated album, A.I.M on the world- and it hasn't disappointed.

I've been a fan of M.I.A since her 'Paper Planes' days and have always loved how individual her style and sound is. She sticks to whatever the hell she wants to channel, and I love that. It makes her incomparable to anybody else on the music scene at the moment, in my opinion.

M.I.A has also put her foot down recently about something that many of us don't really think about when we show our appreciation for an artist we love, by donning a t-shirt with their name on it.

In recent tweets, she addressed the fact that she doesn't condone getting factory workers to slave away printing and producing her merch.

"I think we promote the idea of fashion and a mentality to wear it once and throw it away and I think it's all too fast and not sustainable" - M.I.A

So she came up with an idea to provide the vector (design file) for her merch on her website, where her fans could then download it and print it onto their own garments however they like.


designs such as this can be downloaded by fans

I love this idea, and think that it's not only super sustainable but allows for a whole lot more creativity. We could see fans printing M.I.A logos onto jackets, shirts, even dresses, which really widens the scope of what 'merch' attire can look like. 

gone are the days of generic printed gildan and fruit-of-the-loom t-shirts sold at £30 up? who knows?


check out M.I.A's new album, you won't be disappointed!

Here is her video to accompany the track, 'Borders'- enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment